I've glassed the outside of the boat, and added two fill coats of epoxy resin. Then I cut and installed the skeg. Now it's time to add the keel, and external stem. The stem was bent in place, and is now being glued to the hull with thickened epoxy, as is the keel strip.
Just closing in on the bottom, no longer need the 18 foot long strips, will soon be using the offcuts.
I'm going to have four left-over strips, cutting it close!
I've removed the fishing line and screws holding the hull to the forms, and trimmed a slot in the hull to take a center strip. The center strip will be planed flush with the hull after the glue is dry.
I started building a new design today. This is a cedar strip version of Dave Genty's "Ruth"; an 18 foot by 30 inch beam pulling boat, to be fitted with a sliding seat and outriggers. I built the skin on frame version two years ago, and have modified the lines for cedar strip. It should be a rocket ship, and hopefully come in under 60 lbs. Just the thing to cartop on my westfalia!
Well its wet here, but from the rain, not the launch. As usual, I got so engaged in the launch process that I forgot to take photos. We launched "Pollito" at the end of the April Tools wooden boat challenge, which meant that I got to show it off to the spectators. The boat fit nicely into the back of Andre's GMC Suburban with a flag and a few hold down straps.
Rick Crook of Oyster Bay Boats Pender Harbour BC